Monday, February 22, 2010

Thing 13- Youtube

I have had some experience with using Youtube before, but never in a classroom setting.  I really had no idea how useful it could be in the classroom.  Typically, if I wanted to show a video clip I would use Discovery Streaming, but as I explored Youtube I found many useful videos that I will soon be incorporating into my lessons. 

Finding appropriate videos on Youtube can be a challenge.  As I searched for educational videos, or even curriculum topic specific searches, many times I came across inappropriate content.  This concerns me when I think about how much time students are spending on Youtube.  I wonder if parents, who may restrict television due to content, have any idea what their children are finding on Youtube? 

Despite the content challenges, I will definitely use Youtube more often in my classroom.  It is nice to know there are options, other than Discovery Streaming, for short video clips.  I came across this video during my search.  I think it aligns with Daniel Pink and the "right brain" teaching we all are becoming more aware of.  It is a bit lengthy (20 minutes) but has many humorous stories to illustrate the point.  Check it out... 

2 comments:

  1. I think may people are surprised that YouTube houses many videos that are educational worthy. Did you explore TeacherTube or SchoolTube?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Really amazing video. Thanks for posting. It was definitely worth the 20 minutes!

    ReplyDelete