Monday, February 22, 2010

Thing 12- wow 2.0!

I have tried a couple of the items listed for this thing before, such as weebly and wordle.  I love them both, especially wordle!  This time I explored quizlet, glogster and gliffy.  I like them all.  Quizlet, http://www.quizlet.com/, is wonderful for building vocabulary.  I can see myself using it to help reinforce vocabulary in social studies and the students could use it to share the words they generate in their book club reading.  Any teacher could use this to help with vocabulary.  I like that it provides a number of different formats for using the words.  I even learned a little bit of French and Spanish when I explored other sets!  This tool could really help please some parents who feel we don't do enough with vocabulary.  Students can use this on their own to study, or use a teacher created set.  Love it!

Another site I like is glogster, www.glogster.com/edu.  I have a collage project for the students pertaining to book club and I like the idea of them using glogster for this.  It not only will serve several different learning needs, it will be green as well since they don't have to print it out!  I like all of the tools that are provided, including uploading pictures and video.  The only problem is that the students have to be 13 or older and my kids don't meet that criteria.  I understand some content on the site may not be appropriate for sixth graders, but I am disappointed.  I wonder if there is a similar tool the students can use?

Lastly, I tried gliffy.  I like the concept of gliffy but I don't quite understand how it all works.  I tried to play around with it a little bit, but didn't want to sign up for the free trial without having had a chance to explore more.

2 comments:

  1. Nearly 40% of our 2 million student users are under 13, including 1st and 2nd Graders. The Terms of Use addresses our strict COPPA Policy. Moreover, we are a secure site with teacher controlled and moderated content. You will be very happy and safe on our site, as will your students.
    Jim Dachos
    Education Manager
    Glogster EDU

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the comment left by Jim Dachos, Education Manager Glogster EDU - I look forward to seeing your students collages!

    ReplyDelete