Sunday, February 14, 2010

Thing 8- control freak

I love customized start pages.  For me, they help me keep my interests on the web organized so I don't have to search or keep adding to my favorites button.  Plus, I can access my customized page from any computer, which I can't do for my favorites list.  This could be great for students who don't have access to the same computers at home and at school but frequently need to visit particular websites. 

I used Pageflakes and added several widgets including:  feeds for local and national news, word of the day(what can I say, I teach language arts!), a block game(old fashioned but I love it), and a blog search which hopefully solves a question I had for Thing 7!  I like Pageflakes better than my google reader or blog dashboard because I can add so much more to it, like my task list which reminds me to complete my "Things".  I also like that I can customize the layout so I can arrange the widgets in an order that best suits my preferences, instead of just listing the most recent additions like on google reader.  Besides, I like having a sense of control of the internet, even if it is in a miniscule way. 

2 comments:

  1. I did not try Pageflakes and I wonder if I do not have access to some of the widgets you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU? a control freak? no way! =) I went with Netvibes instead of Pageflakes... Pageflakes reminded me too much of snow and cold.

    ReplyDelete