Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Thing 10- A mishmash of things

I like the idea of being able to do even more with my photos on Flickr however I am not quite comfortable with using the mashups.  As I explored them, it was confusing at times to figure out how to use some of them and I would never have discovered these tools on my own.  It would be nice if Flickr had links to some of these tools.  I realize that may take away some of Flickr's business but hey, can you put a price on creativity?

I don't know how I would incorporate the Flickr mashups into my teaching.  I suspect the students, who are much more technologically savvy, would be able to think of a variety of uses for them but I am lost at the moment.  I think a paraphrase of a comment posted at one of the mashups sums it up for me- is this a useful tool, or just a toy?  Right now I see it as a toy, but I am sure that with the way the world and education is changing, I will soon be proven wrong.

2 comments:

  1. I think the value of mashups will be realized when anyone with a minor amount of training can make their own mashup with data that is useful to him/her. We are close to that point now but not quite there.

    This is a site I looked at earlier. You might just take a quick look:

    http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see students enhancing their projects using Spell with Flickr or one of the tools from BigHugeLabs. I can also see students upload their own photos and apply a mashup for the poetry project you have done in the past.

    ReplyDelete